Monday, October 22, 2007

Weight Loss Woes

Caution: Lots of whining ahead.

I'm not skinny. Not by a long shot. I was thin in grade school, thin in high school, then filled out in college. Not in a bad way. I think my body just started looking the way it was supposed to. Since I had my daughter, though, I gained quite a bit and my weight has sort of re-distributed itself around the typical female problem areas--belly, butt, thighs and hips. Mostly butt.

Anyway, last summer, I found out that part of the problem with the weight gain was a result of a problem with my insulin levels. I've been working on following the food plan I'm supposed to, but it's hard for one reason. I love potatoes. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. I've cut out a lot of other "naughty" foods, but I'm clinging to my potatoes. It doesn't help that my favorite food is baked potato soup. Even so, I'm limiting my intake.

So why the heck have I gained 8 pounds instead of losing? My husband swears that muscle weighs more than fat, but I don't think I believe that. I mean, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat right? They're both a pound. So, I'm trying to convince myself that while I'm building healthy muscle with my regular workouts, I'm just not losing any fat yet. When I flex my muscles, you can see them and feel them. There's just a layer of fat on top.

Which brings me back to my butt. I don't know how with the seven-mile daily bike rides and the two mile daily walks, but my butt is getting rounder. My legs are getting leaner, as is my waist, so my pants are fitting nicely in those areas, but my backside is still filling up my pants.

I've got a pregnant-looking rear end. But I'm not pregnant. I wish real-life had an edit button like in Photoshop. Then I could just erase the edges of my behind and be perfectly proportioned!

4 comments:

Marni said...

Hi! Found you through Jamie's blog... hope you don't mind that I've added you to my blog roll. I love the way your write and express yourself!

Anyhoo-

I know how frustrating it is to lose the weight. Don't give up! You are doing a great job... I can't even get my lazy butt off the couch! :)

Cheryl said...

I'm sorry Martha, but you had me laughing there at the end. I needed that! I come from a family of the flattest butts you ever want to see. I envy women who have some 'back'. Flat is not fun. Any chance you could have a session with a personal trainer? All that bike riding and walking should be paying off. It's fantastic that you do so much. You should be reaping the rewards. Let me know how your progress goes, OK?

Margaret said...

Having babies just makes a woman's body change. Even if all the weight disappears afterwards, it's just different.

But it's good to be strong, and awesome to be healthy! GO MARTHA!

jAMiE said...

You make me tired just listening to you...you go girl!