Saturday, October 13, 2007

Pumpkin Hunting


We made the long trek this afternoon out to Dollinger Family Farm to get our pumpkins for Halloween. It's silly to make the long drive, I know, but this place is fantastic. We wandered the pumpkin patch, walking through rows and rows of thousands of pumpkins, letting our little sweetie pick out the ones she wanted. We ended up with 5 large pumpkins, and 3 teeny little baby pumpkins. It seems kind of excessive, but the pumpkins are enormous (except for the itty bitty ones, of course), and the prices are so reasonable, that honestly, it's hard not to get carried away.

After that, we spent about an hour petting the goats, cow, pigs, the biggest sheep I've ever seen, as well as watching the honeybees in the gift shop. I now fully understand the term "busy as a bee." Those furry little buggers were working hard. We also rode the miniature steam engine and then, just for fun, let the munchkin get her face painted. I took this picture of my two sweeties to mark the occasion. We really wanted to go on the hayride, but they were completely sold out of the tickets for the rest of the day. Even though we missed out on the actual ride, we did get to hang out with the massive Clydesdale horses. Those things are HUGE. And I got my hands on a much-coveted jar of apple butter.

After all that, we came home to a fabulous dinner of chicken and vegetables. And I opened that jar of apple butter and had a big spoonful of it with some animal crackers. YUM!

It was a beautiful day and a good time was had by all.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sounds like it was a perfect day. I love doing those kinds of things and remember time spent with Emily when she was young. So different now.

We're heading to the mall, the National Mall, to see the Solar homes on display. I haven't been to DC since before 9/11. I'm still nervous.

Catherine said...

Absolutely adorable. (I should not be commenting on your blog at work...)

LOVE YOU! XOXOXXX

jAMiE said...

Sounds like a wonderful day..i love pumpkins...it must be fun to carve them with the little ones.

Glad you are enjoying your apple butter.

Margaret said...

Went apple picking with the kids...I'll have to put a picture up on the sister site since yours was super cute!