Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Age of Innocence

There is something truly charming about watching a little two-year-old bounce through life. The pure joy on her face when she's happy, the sweet innocence in her eyes when she does something wrong and doesn't realize it. Makes me feel good.

And then I get a little annoyed. But not with her.

I just can't remember ever feeling as happy as she looks. I'm sure I have been that happy, I just don't have any recollection of it. Well, there was the day when I had her, so that counts, but other than that, I can't remember. Some people ask me, "What about your wedding day?"

I thought about that. It's not that I was unhappy. Not even close. I just felt...confident. I wasn't one of those brides that walked down the aisle all weepy-eyed with butterflies in the stomach. When the church doors opened and I saw my husband-to-be standing there, I just remember thinking, "This is it. The path to the rest of my life is starting with my first step down this aisle. I'm marrying the man that I'm going to devote myself to, the man who I know is going to do his best to be a good husband and an amazing father. He's going to do his best to provide for his family and walk side-by-side with me." And I felt good and comfortable in the knowledge that I was making a solid choice by choosing him to be my husband.

That's not to say our marriage has been perfect. Two years ago, I wasn't sure we were going to make it. But we did, and we have this amazing child who makes me feel glad to be alive. And I feel glad because I see that beautiful innocence in her eyes. She's as perfect in my eyes as I'm sure I am in hers.

And it feels good to be perfect in someone's eyes.

3 comments:

jAMiE said...

That's lovely....

Cheryl said...

You probably were as happy as your daughter is now. You just don't remember. You're very lucky to be in a good marriage. I've always felt that as long as you have that commitment, you'll make it. I know it's not easy. Living with another person never is.

Catherine said...

Kiss your baby for me!