Sunday, June 17, 2007

Hands of My Father

Happy Father's Day to all the daddies out there!

I had a wonderful opportunity today to spend time with both my husband and my father and I keep thinking how neat it is to know these two men in their roles as dads. As I thought about it more and watched my dad holding my sister's brand new baby boy, I spent some time reflecting on what it means to be created in the image of our Father.

I believe that to a degree, we are created in the image of God. As I thought about it more though, I started thinking about how very much I am like my father. Stubborn to the core, hard working, not afraid of getting my hands dirty...all traits from my father. And so I think that perhaps there is a huge element of truth in that we are all created in the likeness of God.

I'm thinking God is pretty stubborn--He sticks to His guns no matter what people do and is determined to forgive and move on, no matter what. God must be hard working--can you imagine how many prayers He hears and answers in any given hour? Any given day? And I think that God is not afraid of getting His hands dirty. He blesses and keeps all who believe in Him. And even the people who don't. In disaster and conflict, in war and devastation--God is there. He does a lot of hard of work. Thank goodness for that.

God, today I want to say thanks for making me in the likeness of my father and ultimately, in the likeness of You.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Fathers can also fix anything! Daddy can fix dinner and skinned knees and broken hearts just like God fixes the messes left behind by natural disasters and wars and broken hearts.

I like this game.