Saturday, December 23, 2006

Holy Night

It's two days before Christmas. God bless all the little children in the world...

A child asleep
a dark wintry night
stars in the sky
dazzling and bright...
Soft sighs and sweet dreams
from under the covers
and next to the child
a young mother hovers
watching her child's
innocent face
and thanking God
for this moment's grace...
A profile in moonlight
a small dimpled chin
a face of wonder and purity
and free of all sin...
The mother stands watching
protecting her child
from all that is dark
and cruel and wild
The rise and fall
of the child's chest
means slumber is deep
and now mother can rest
A kiss on the cheek
she pauses at the door
to gaze at her child
for a moment more
She stands and she wonders
Did Mary feel this way
when she gave birth long ago
on the first Christmas Day?
Did she feel in her heart
and could she already see
that her Son would be the Savior
of this child before me?
Peace settles over me
I blow a kiss to my girl
and silently thank God
for His gift to this world...
A Son who would be born
grow up and die
to save all on earth
therefore ensuring that I
would have a child of my own
to care for and love
and remind her always
that she's a gift from Above...
A quiet evening
before the most Holy Night
for this moment in time
all in my world is right.
Heavenly Father, I thank you for the many blessings in my life. Help me always to love my child unconditionally and to raise her to believe and trust in You. Amen.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Don't make me cry. It hurts my tummy more than laughing...